Monday, April 30, 2012

Faerieworlds 2012 Summer Celebration

For 2012, Faerieworlds will be held from Friday, July 27th to Sunday, July 29th at the Mt. Pisgah Arboretum located Southeast of Eugene, Oregon. It will be the festival's fourth year at the site. Activity will center around the eight standing stones of the Stone Circle which was installed before the event in 2010.

You may have heard of Donovan, especially if you're old enough to remember the '60s - well, OK old enough to be alive during the '60s. (There's also a saying that if you remember the '60s you weren't really there.) So anyway, yes, it's that Donovan, the one who gave us "Sunshine Superman," "Hurdy Gurdy Man," "Atlantis" and "Mellow Yellow." Donovan was inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio on April 14, 2012. The Faerieworlds organizers have announced, "Donovan will premiere 'The Living Crystal Faery Realm,' a new musical and visual experience that the world will see for the first time at Faerieworlds under the stars at Mount Pisgah."

Niyaz, Baka Beyond and Soriah with Ashkelon Sain are making their Faerieworlds debut. Also making her first Faerieworlds appearance with be dub-step violinist Lindsey Stirling, who was a quarter-finalist on America's Got Talent two years ago. I'm excited about seeing Baka Beyond, a group that mixes African and Celtic music. I've liked their music for years.

Returning performers include SJ Tucker and Tricky Pixie (SJ is a part of Tricky Pixie), John Doan on harp guitar, Trillian Green, Treguenda (first time at Faerieworlds but they've played at FaerieCon West), Adam Hurst and more.

That's just the Main Stage - the lineup for the Neverworlds Stage will be announced later.

Faerieworlds has released a couple of YouTube videos on their channel featuring Donovan and Lindsey Stirling:



I will be there this year. I'm not sure yet how I'll afford it or how I'm getting there, but I really am determined to be there. A friend, Whisper Fae on Facebook, who I met while helping a vendor last year, has offered a vendor pass. I'll have to upgrade it to a vendor camping pass, but that's cheaper than paying for a regular camping pass and I may be able to put up my tent behind the booth Whisper and two others will be at - Three Moons Emporium. (Want to help me get there? Take a look at the ChipIn widget in the top right corner of this blog. Any amount, even a buck, will be appreciated.)

Moby as Gwydion the Wizard

Seems like every year I, along with many others, say this will be the best Faerieworlds yet, and every year we're right. We'll be right again, I'm positive. For me, Faerieworlds is more than just a festival. I've gotten to know a lot of people who help make it happen along with members of the Facebook group A Circle of Merry Folk. Along with them, I look forward to this event all year. This is my Thanksgiving, Winter Solstice, Christmas, New Years and vacation all wrapped up in five days including Thursday and Monday when I'll be helping set up and take down the vendor booth.

No comments: