Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Interesting & Unusual Stuff - Buried Spitfires

I've been posting on Delphi Forums for over 13 years. During that time I've seen a lot of posts about interesting and unusual items from all kinds of places. I even post a fair amount of it myself. Since I'd like to do more blogging and perhaps draw some attention to my ChipIn campaign to become less broke (it's over there --->), I'll give a shot to posting stuff here as well as Delphi, Facebook, etc.

I saw an item about  Britain's famous Spitfire fighter plane from World War II. At the end of the war, a shipment of Spitfires sent to Burma (now Myanmar) was declared surplus. The local commander decided the easiest and cheapest way to deal with them was to bury them still in their shipping crates. 67 years later, a man has plans to dig them up. According to another Delphi poster, they could go for around 5 million pounds each if they are in pristine condition.

Mark XIV Spitifre - the type buried in Burma

British farmer’s quest to find lost Spitfires in Burma 

British man recovers buried Spitfires in Burma 

This photo is of a different version of the Spitfire. This has a Merlin engine with a four-bladed prop, while the ones found have Griffon engines and five-bladed props.

 I used to love reading about World War II fighters when I was in high school in the early '60s, a time when the war had been over for less than 20 years instead of 67 years.

 

No comments: