Monday, April 30, 2012

Simon & Garfunkel: The Dangling Conversation

In one of the Delphi Forums I frequent, the host is considering ways to make the forum a better place for reasonable people to have intelligent, wide-ranging conversations on matters from the sublime to the ridiculous without a whole lot of acrimony stirred up by trolls, sh*t-stirrers and haters.

One of the changes proposed is a new forum name. Several have been suggested. My favorite so far is "Life, the Universe and Everything" since I'm a big fan of Douglas Adams. Another poster suggested "The Dangling Conversation." Here was my response, which includes the YouTube video:

I'm also a big fan of Simon and Garfunkel. It's been a long time since I've heard "The Dangling Conversation." While I think it's a great song, it has always seemed to me to be about how relations between two people can become superficial and banal as they grow apart. It's a sad thing to experience. I'd like to see this forum as a place where people can grow together, grow stronger, rather than grow apart.


No comments: