Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Squidoo Lens for Wendy Froud

Today's lens is for Wendy Froud, wife of Brian Froud, dollmaker, author, artist, and creator of Jedi Master Yoda and the Gelflings Jen and Kira in The Dark Crystal. Together, Wendy and Brian created Toby, their son, who played the kidnapped toddler in Labyrinth.

I'd looked into creating a lens for Brian some time back but found there was already one out there. Then I took a look at it and realized it wasn't as good as I thought I could do, and since I'm trying to get my 100th lens completed this week - by Monday at the latest - I thought I'd have a go at it. It was nice to find some videos on YouTube so I could make the video showcase, and since Wendy appears in one of them, I was able to reference that in her lens.

I have encountered the Frouds at Faerieworlds each year. The first year, 2006, I bought several of Brian's books before I went and he was kind enough to autograph them. The second year I had more, plus a bottle of "Faerie Nectar" or apricot mead from a winery just outside Eugene. The label had one of Brian's faeries on the label. Now it has his autograph and a little fey creature sketch as well. I also got Wendy's book, The Art of Wendy Froud, which she autographed.

Each year I've gotten pictures of Brian, and this past time I got a picture of Brian and Wendy as they posed for another photographer. The picture of Wendy in this post and that of Brian in yesterday's post really come from the same photo that I cropped.

I've only spoken with them briefly at Faerieworlds, but they are very gracious people.

They've got a great website, of course, and it's well worth a look.

No comments: