Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Magical Strings & Planxty

Tuesday's additions to my Squidoo lenses included a new Celtic Music lens and a Celtic Music Video Showcase.

The lens is for the Pacific Northwest harp and hammered dulcimer duo Magical Strings, with Philip Boulding on Celtic harp and his wife Pam on hammered dulcimer. I first heard about them in the 1980s and managed to see them once or twice live when they did East Coast tours. Since moving to Portland, I've seen Philip a couple of times, once at Faerieworlds in 2006 and again at Ye Merrie Greenwood Faire in Richland, WA in 2007.

From looking at the Magical Strings website I see there's an open studio tour on Sunday and Monday, Sept. 21 and 22. It's near Gig Harbor, WA, not far from where the Washington Renaissance and Fantasy Faire used to be held, so I'm seriously considering heading up there. I just sent off an e-mail to get more information.

The video showcase is for Planxty, the traditional Irish group from the 1970s and early 1980s that had a large influence on the development of the modern movement in traditional Irish music.

No comments: