Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Doctor Demento Hit Parade

I've deviated a bit from making more Squidoo Celtic music lenses by making a video collection of novelty and comedy songs, Doctor Demento Hit Parade. There are 25 videos and all but two are songs that appear on the double CD Dr. Demento 20th Anniversary Collection. The collection itself has 36 songs.

In looking up the good doctor on his website, I found he was a DJ and station manager for the student FM station at Reed College in Portland, OR. That sort of gives me something in common with him since I was a DJ and station manager for the station at Becker Junior College in Worcester, MA from 1966 through 1969. (I did guest spots after graduating in '68.) The major difference is the Reed station broadcast over the air, while the Becker station's output went from the second floor to the basement student lounge.

I've always been interested in novelty music since the days when my sister listened to the radio a lot when she was a teenager. Also, my father got a Spike Jones record called "60 Years of Music America Hates Best" - the title was a takeoff on a popular LP series called "60 Years of Music America Loves Best." The '50s and '60s were not only a golden era for rock 'n' roll, they were a golden era for novelty songs. It's when "Monster Mash," Alvin and the Chipmunks, "Purple People Eater" and "Flying Saucer Part One" (followed by Part Two) were recorded.

Hmmm...nobody's done a Squidoo lens for Spike Jones...yet. Think I'll get this posted and go back to lensmaking.

No comments: