Saturday, December 6, 2008

More Zazzle

I've created more stuff on Zazzle. This morning I did a calendar using images from NASA, which are not copyrighted, from the latest space shuttle mission, STS-126. That was a two-week mission to the International Space Station which involved delivering about 7 tons of cargo and doing some upgrading and maintenance on the station. It made a bit of news when a bag containing a grease gun and a few other items floated away from an astronaut. One of the people who flew up stayed, and one who was on the ISS returned. I included a photo of the shuttle crew and another with the shuttle crew and the station crew. February has a picture of the launch and December's is the landing. There's another launch photo - a vertical one - on the back cover along with identification of the crew members in the January and July photos.

I've also collected some pictures that are copyright-free from the Astronomy Picture of the Day (APoD) site and will be making another calendar using many images from the Hubble Space Telescope. For these images, I had to do some hunting about the APoD site because not all the images are copyright-free. There's some really beautiful pictures at that site, but some of the best are, unfortunately, under copyright.

I won't be the first one to make a calendar from APoD images. I looked on Zazzle and found several others have done the same thing. That had a lot to do with why this morning I decided to look up other images on NASA's site and decided to make a calendar based on STS-126, the latest mission from Nov. 14 - 30.

Speaking of copyright, I took the time to look up a page on the NASA site so I would be clear that I wasn't doing anything wrong by using images. One thing I read was that the use of the image for the mission patch is intended for media, not commercial use. Obviously one Zazzler didn't read that or is associated with NASA. Hard to tell because there's no profile to view.

I'm still attempting to figure out how to best organize stuff on Zazzle. Zazzle is pretty good at giving information about promoting your products, but less so about actually organizing things. Or maybe I just haven't found the right help files yet. For now everything is listed under "New Products." I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have more than one gallery, but I'm not yet sure how to go about that.

I'm doing some tweaking on some of the Squidoo lenses. I saw that it's a good idea to allow more than just five comments on a guestbook page, so I've reset some of those. Only a few of my lenses have more than five comments, but over time I'll be increasing the number of comments per page.

Also, I'm trying to find a good Dreamweaver template for Have Pun Will Travel, which has to be redone since I'm dropping GoDaddy's rather pricey and somewhat limited Website Tonight and going with a regular account. That means getting all the stuff onto new pages, but the advantage should be that I should find it easier to put links to Amazon, CD Baby, Zazzle and other places I may affiliate with. I'm thinking of a full width header and footer, a main area in the middle with a sidebar on each side. I've got to have it done by Thursday to avoid a gap in the site being available. It might be unavailable for a while, but I hope for only a few hours.

No comments: