Wednesday, December 26, 2007

1970s Hugos Done

For anyone reading my archives, please note that the Hugo Award lenses, except the one for Movies and TV, were replaced by one multi-page lens, Hugo Award Winners: Novels in January 2011. Links to the old lenses in these blog posts no longer work.

The 1970s Hugo Awards lens is done. Well, not quite, but certainly all the descriptions of the winners and the links to Amazon for the nominees are complete. Yesterday I added what Squidoo calls "Amazon Plexos" to the 2000s and 1990s lenses. They're something that allow visitors to the page to vote on selected items. I chose the yearly winners and advised people to vote for novels they've read. People can link to the book's Amazon page via the plexo, so I added a note asking people to please use the links I created within each year's listing.

Since it's still early enough, I'll probably add plexos for the 1980s and 1970s. In creating the first two, I found that for some very strange reason, the system reversed the order of the first two books, so in the 2000s lens, 2006 appears before 2007. I believe the order changes according to votes received, so it may not matter, but I was a bit obsessive with the 1990s lens and found a way to make them appear in proper order. Frankly, I'm not sure how much good the plexos are. In lenses I've visited that use them, it seems almost nobody has voted, and some of the lenses have higher rankings than I've ever achieved with mine.

No comments: