Tuesday, June 24, 2008

More Celtic Music Pages, Squidoo stuff

I created pages for Altan and Enya on HavePun-WillTravel.com and updated the Squidoo lenses. They went fairly quickly, and I took time to make sure I was linking the right stuff. The published pages look like what I was expecting, which is always a good thing. If I can do one or two lenses a day, I'll be caught up in a week or so. There's 10 Squidoo lenses that don't have web page counterparts yet. At least I'm more than halfway there.

When I checked my email earlier, I had one that said a Squidoo person known as "the fluffanutta" was now following me on Twitter. He's the guy that developed some SquidUtils, and I've used one of those to create links to Amazon that gives me more of the commission than I'd get otherwise. His cut is that one in five of those links redirects commissions to him. I suppose that's fair, and it's not like tons of people have been ordering from my lenses. Even though the email said he's following me, I don't see him in my list (it's short!) of followers. And since it's the wee hours of the morning in the UK, it'll probably be tomorrow before I see any of his tweets now I've decided to follow him.

When I looked him up, I read some of his recent Tweets, and he mentioned a Greasemonkey script that enhances use of the Squidoo Lensmaster Workshop, which is what everyone on Squidoo uses to develop new lenses. I'm familiar with Greasemonkey because it's used on Delphi Forums for an editor developed by Whitemare, who runs the Go Firefox! forum. That editor, btw, is fantastic, much better than the standard one. So I installed that script, and it appears to be working.

One of the features of the script is that I can check to see what sites are linking to a lens. I pulled up Spider Robinson's lens, and saw that there were 138 links from WordPress.com. Clicking on that, I found that 136 of them are from one blog, Thehouseai. I scrolled down looking for the link, and found she has a category called "Squidoo Lenses - Top Hard SF Authors." Not only is she linking to my Spider Robinson lens, she's also linking to my Allen Steele lens. So I linked back on those lenses. She's got some interesting info about SF shows, movies, books, etc. It's well worth a look. [Edited 6/30 after discovering a comment from the blog author, who is not a male.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the compliment on my blog. I hope you don't mind the link to your lens. I found it great. By the way, "he" is a "she.." There are a few of us females who love SF. SheGeeks. The HouseAI

MobyD said...

Oops! Sorry about the gender swap! I don't mind the link at all, in fact, I'm very pleased you did it! Btw, I also have a John Varley page. Now if I could just afford the three new books, one each by Spider, Allen, and John.
Thanks again for the linking!