Saturday, June 9, 2012

Rincewind and The Luggage

I headed out to Gresham Town Fair this afternoon, intending to see if JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts had little bird houses for a buck apiece. I had thoughts of buying a bunch to make into faerie houses - rather small faerie houses. They were still being sold for a buck. I looked around a bit more there to get ideas for stuff needed for modifications, but I wanted to check out Michael's and a Dollar Store down near the end of the MAX line. Also on the way to the MAX I stopped into the Craft Warehouse in the Town Fair.

Originally I intended just to get some more tiny light strings for the steampunk top hats I need to finish. I got the lights and a few doodads to add to the hats. Meanwhile, outside, a downpour had begun, so I took my time. I looked around for more materials ideas and while doing that, spotted some unfinished trunks for $29.99 and $35.99. Suddenly I realized what the Rincewind persona I've decided on needed: The Luggage! That's it (to the left) in the lower part of the cover of Terry Pratchett's first Discworld novel, The Colour of Magic. The Luggage first belonged to Twoflower, Discworld's first tourist, then later it became Rincewind's. The Luggage is made of sapient pearwood and moves about on lots of little legs. It's very loyal to its owner and can be very dangerous to anyone trying to harm said owner - as in devouring the offender.

I also had the thought that with The Luggage, I could wear Bermuda shorts, a Hawaiian shirt and a floppy hat and be Twoflower. I've got the shorts and hat, so I'd only need a Hawaiian shirt or something similar. I can modify a book into a "phrase book" which I can pull out, open, and ask questions in a somewhat loud and carefully enunciated voice. Of course, it would be fun to say slightly, or maybe not so slightly, wrong things as in the Monty Python sketch where the "Hungarian" (John Cleese) would say things such as, "My hovercraft is full of eels."

Tomorrow (this was written late on Friday and now I see the next day I forgot to send it), and for several days after, the weather is supposed to be drier, so I'll probably get a lot of material-foraging done. I've been discovering lots of places to buy materials down in the Gresham area since I opened the credit union account.

No comments: