Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sarah Vowell - The Wordy Shipmates

I first heard Sarah Vowell on the public radio program This American Life, a show I don't keep up with enough, partly because I mostly listen to the radio when I'm in the car. She has an unusual voice for radio, but it's a quickly acquired taste because she's very sharp, very witty, and has the ability to make some of the most amazing comparisons you're ever likely to hear. For a couple of good examples of that, take a look at the Squidoo lens I made - Sarah Vowell: The Voice of Violet Writes! Among her many accomplishments, she was the voice of Violet Parr in the animated movie The Incredibles.

Her latest book is The Wordy Shipmates. It's about the Puritans who settled the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630. If anyone can make the Puritans interesting, it would be Sarah Vowell. The book just came out in paperback. She was on The Rachel Maddow Show tonight to promote it. While there, she took the time to recommend Keith Olbermann's hour-long Special Comment about health care. I recommend it as well.

If you're interested in reading Sarah Vowell's books, I'd appreciate it if you'd visit my Sarah Vowell Squidoo lens and click on one of my Amazon links. It doesn't cost you anything and I get a little commission from it.

No comments: