Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Heart Is a Lonely Haunter

It's the first of the month. A few days ago I joined NaBloPoMo - National Blog Posting Month - and began posting every day. It was a warm-up to see if I wanted to try posting every day for a month. NaBloPoMo has a theme for each month and for October it's "Haunted." Posts do not have to be related to the theme.

I don't believe in ghosts, so what could such a theme could mean to me? It seems when I start thinking about words there's always a pun lurking about waiting to jump in. As thoughts of past relationships started swirling about, the title of Carson McCuller's most famous novel came to me in a slightly altered form and became the title of this post.

It could've been worse. If I were into reading books about ghosts during this month in years past, another title might've come out: The Haunt for Read October.

Then there's this:

Home is the sailor
Home from the sea
And the haunter
Home from the old decrepit scary mansion.

No, that last line doesn't work at all.

How about putting a scare into animals: The Deer Haunter.

Gonzo journalism from beyond the grave by Haunter S. Thompson? Now that's scary!

Silly puns, but it's probably better to post about them than make a maudlin entry about past relationships.

No comments: