Sunday, March 1, 2009

Changing the Phone Service

I probably should have done this a year ago at least, but today I switched to Vonage from my AT&T cell phone. Vonage's modem usually costs $79.99, but when I went to their site yesterday I saw they had a big rebate of $70.00. For all I know, that could be an ongoing thing, but $9.99 seemed like a pretty decent deal.

Earlier today I checked a few places online: Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples and Office Max. Only Best Buy showed they were selling the modem, but they didn't show a rebate. Then I decided to go to a Best Buy and see if the store offered the rebate. It did, and it was an instant rebate, so I bought one. I probably should have just bought the unit without activating, because I think I might've done better activating online, but I'll go with what I've got. An unlimited plan is $15.00 cheaper per month than AT&T, plus I get to call five European countries, including the UK and Ireland at no extra charge.

I'm not sure this will lead to increased phone use, other than perhaps calling in to LiveIreland to make a request when I'm listening and there's a DJ in the studio, but we'll see. Of course, I decided to do this and calling Ireland may have to wait a while because Klara McDonnell, who usually does a show Mondays from 6 to 8 pm Dublin time, won't be there. She's off on a visit to London.

My phone number isn't changing because I'm porting the number over from AT&T. If anyone calls it'll still ring on the cell phone until the number ports, so I shouldn't be out of touch. Not that I'm really in touch by phone, since often my monthly usage doesn't get out of the single digits.

No comments: